More specific and up to date information on employment available in English on Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs webpage.

Working after 1 January 2021

Based on the Withdrawal agreement, there are no changes during the transition period on the existing rights of British citizens and their family members residing in the Czech Republic. After the end of the transition period, the citizens of the United Kingdom and their family members who have resided in the Czech Republic and continue to reside here after 31 December 2020 will retain all their existing rights associated with their stay in the Czech Republic, including the right to work. They can freely conclude, change and start new jobs for different employers without a work permit.

The key for whether you, as a British citizen, retain your rights is whether you or your family members can prove your residence or employment in the Czech Republic before the end of 2020. The easiest way to do so is to acquire a certificate of a temporary residence. More information, not only on these issues but also on maintaining the social security entitlements of Czech citizens returning from the UK, can be found at Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs webpage. A detailed explanation of the implementation of the Withdrawal Agreement can be found here.

Until 31 December 2020, the Ministry of Interior issues a certificate of temporary residence marked by "EU Withdrawal agreement" red stamp, as you can see in the pictures. Any British citizen legally staying on 31 December 2020 can apply, if confirming their stay in the Czech republic sufficiently. This can be made either by rental agreement, employment contract, confirmation on enrolment in studies or some other documentation.

Since 2 August 2021 the Ministry will issue biometric documents.

If you are do not fulfill the above mentioned preconditioned, you will most probably need to obtain a work permit as any other third country citizen, for example an employee card. For more detailed information follow Ministry of Interior webpage dedicated to foreign nationals, or specifically the chapter dedicated to third country nationals (from non-EU countries.)

ERASMUS + programme

United Kingdom will no longer be participating in ERASMUS + programme after 1 January 2021.

If you already have been studying in any of EU countries on 1 January 2021, nothing will change until an end of 2020 and you shall be enabled to conlude the programme. Please contact your sending institution to make sure that:

  • your stay will continue,
  • none of your rights and oligations are change, e. x. additional fees, visas etc.

Also make sure that both sending and receiving institution agree on continuation of your programme regarding the COVID-19 situation. Contact your sending institution in case you need to conclude your stay ahead of time for any reason.

If your stay was supposed to begin after 1 January 2021, read the guidance for these cases.

For more detailed English information see:


Vzhledem k dosažení dohody mezi EU a UK upravujeme webové stránky tak, aby odpovídaly současnému stavu. Prosíme o pochopení v případě, že některé části webu nejsou zatím zcela aktuální.

Emergency numbers for CZ citizens:

Brexit helpline: 00 800 67891011 (all EU languages)

CZ Consulate in France: 0033 607 764 394

CZ Consulate in Belgium: 0032 477 257 104

CZ Consulate in Netherlands: 0031 641 315 128

CZ Consulate in UK: 0044 (0)776 968 2442

Key information for UK citizens

Czech Republic on brexit

United kingdom on brexit

Průvodce britské vlády

EU settlement scheme (key for Czech citizens in UK)

Living in the Czech Republic (key for British citizens in CZ)

Visiting the UK after brexit

European Union on brexit